Become A Lawful Permanent Resident Through An AOS

While some forms of immigration to the United States may start as temporary visits — including student visas to attend school or employment-based visas for work — nonimmigrant visa holders who build lives for themselves during their time in the U.S. may wish to make their stay more permanent by applying for adjustment of status — also known as applying for a green card.

While possible, this process can be a daunting one that requires considerable effort, documentation and an understanding of the law many people do not have.

At The Tellez Law Firm, PLLC, in Austin, we have extensive experience handling a wide range of immigration-related matters, including filing applications for adjustment of status. Our attorneys help immigrants and nonimmigrants from a variety of different cultures and ethnic backgrounds throughout Texas take the right steps toward changing their immigration status so they can lawfully remain in the U.S. permanently.

Eligible Immigrant Categories For Adjustment Of Status

There are many eligible immigrant categories under which U.S. immigration laws allow you to apply for a green card. They include:

  • Family-based immigration For immediate relatives of U.S. citizens, spouses, unmarried children under the age of 21, parents of the U.S. citizen, fiancé( e)s, other relatives and VAWA self-petitioners
  • Employment-based immigration For skilled immigrant workers, physicians, immigrant investors and other specialized immigrant workers with exceptional abilities
  • Immigration for special immigrants For religious workers, international broadcasters or journalists, employees or retired officers of specific international organizations (such as NATO) as well as their family members, and children who have been abandoned, abused or neglected and have SIJ status
  • Asylum-based immigration For refugees and asylum seekers
  • Immigration for victims of crime — Including T nonimmigrant visas and U nonimmigrant visas
  • Abuse-based immigration For victims of abuse, neglected or abandoned
  • Other categories Including those selected through the diversity visa lottery, victims of abuse eligible under the Cuban Adjustment Act, individuals born in the U.S. to foreign diplomats and more
  • Registry-based immigration For those who have lived continuously in the U.S. since before January 1, 1972

Don't Overstay Your Visa — Look Into Other Options

Since there is no guarantee your green card application will be approved, some visa holders have been known to put off applying for adjustment of status, oftentimes overstaying their visa by months or even years. This is never a good idea, however, as the U.S. government takes immigration very seriously and frowns upon those who overstay their visa.

If you overstay your visa, you may become ineligible for adjustment of status, requiring you to seek a waiver in order to apply for a green card. Additionally, you could face removal and deportation proceedings that could separate you from friends, family, your job and the life you've built in the U.S.

We're Here To Help You — Contact Us Today

At The Tellez Law Firm, PLLC, we know what's at stake for immigrants and nonimmigrants who are seeking adjustment of status, which is why we will take a proactive approach to your application to ensure there are no problems or issues that could lengthen the process of applying for a green card. We have years of experience and are known for successfully helping numerous applicants through the green card process. We're confident we can help you too.

If you would like our help on your adjustment of status application, please schedule an initial consultation where we can discuss the details of your case with an experienced immigration lawyer and give you a better idea of your next steps. Call our Austin office at 512-774-6832 or send us an email to get started.