Ensure Your Fiancé(e) Makes It Down The Aisle

If you're a U.S. citizen who is engaged to a foreign citizen of another country and you want to have your wedding in the United States, then you likely have questions about the process of securing a K-1 nonimmigrant visa - also called K-1 fiancé(e) visas - and the stipulations attached to this helpful travel visa. Due the complexity of U.S. immigration laws, however, you may not know whom to turn to for assistance. This is where our law firm can help.

At The Tellez Law Firm, PLLC, our attorneys are dedicated to helping U.S. citizens and immigrants all over Texas start new lives together through visa sponsorships. We will use our years of immigration law experience to walk you through the application process, helping you at every step to ensure you and your fiancé make it down the aisle together.

What Is A K-1 Visa And How Do I Apply?

The K-1 nonimmigrant visa - not to be confused with the K-3 nonimmigrant visa for spouses - is a special travel visa that allows a foreign citizen fiancé(e) to travel to the United States in order to marry his or her U.S. citizen sponsor within 90 days. After the marriage is complete, the foreign citizen spouse may apply for adjustment of status to a permanent resident.

The process of applying for a K-1 visa starts with filing a Petition for Alien Fiancé(e) (Form I-129F) with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS) office that serves the area in which you reside. Once you receive an approval letter from the National Visa Center (NVC), you will need to inform your fiancé(e) to gather the required documentation to apply for a K-1 visa, which include:

  • A completed copy of the Form DS-160
  • A valid passport
  • Police certificates
  • A valid medical examination
  • Evidence of your relationship
  • Payment of fees
  • Divorce or death certificates (if you or your fiancé(e) was previously married)

Once your fiancé(e) has gathered the required documentation, he or she will also need to prepare for the visa interview, where they may be asked to provide additional information upon request.

Can Same-Sex Partners Apply For A K-1 Visa?

Thanks to changes in the law here in the United States, same-sex fiancé(e)s are now eligible to apply for K-1 visas and may do so using the same process as opposite-sex fiancé(e)s.

Ineligibility May Affect Your Visa

If your fiancé(e) overstayed a previous visa, committed certain crimes or has done something that has otherwise made them ineligible for a K-1 visa, a waiver of ineligibilitymay need to be secured before a K-1 visa can be approved.

If ineligibility is preventing you from having your K-1 visa application approved, The Tellez Law Firm, PLLC, can help you at every stage of the waiver process, informing you of your rights, helping you understand the laws at work and keeping you up to date on the status of your waiver.

Put Your Visa Application In Our Capable Hands

Trying to understand the immigration process and secure the appropriate travel visa for your fiancé(e) can be an added stress when planning a wedding, especially if your lack of understanding of the law leads to simple, avoidable mistakes. At The Tellez Law Firm, PLLC, our lawyers will carefully review your application, identify any issues and address them in a timely manner. We can also walk you through the process, making sure your rights are protected and you have a good idea of the timeline ahead so you can make more concrete plans.

We understand your situation and what needs to be done in order to help you and your fiancé(e) start a new life together here in the U.S. If you would like to speak with an attorney at our firm about your situation, please contact us online or call our Austin office at 512-774-6832 to schedule an initial consultation.